Microsoft Office 2016 (codenamed Office 16) is a version of the Microsoft Office productivity suite, succeeding both Office 2013 and Office for Mac 2011, and preceding Office 2019 for both platforms.
What is Office 2016?
Microsoft Office 2016 (codenamed Office 16) is a version of the Microsoft Office productivity suite, succeeding both Office 2013 and Office for Mac 2011, and preceding Office 2019 for both platforms. It was released on macOS on July 9, 2015 and on Microsoft Windows on September 22, 2015 for Office 365 subscribers. Mainstream support ends on October 13, 2020, and most editions have extended support up to October 14, 2025. The perpetually licensed version on macOS and Windows was released on September 22, 2015. Since its successor Office 2019 only supports Windows 10 or Windows Server 2019, this is the last version of Microsoft Office compatible with Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016.
How to Install?
Please follow the following steps to download and install Office 2016.
- Sign In to Download Office
- Go to your Microsoft account dashboard and if you’re not already signed in, select Sign in.
- Sign in with the Microsoft account you associated with this version of Office.
- Forgot your account details? See I forgot the account I use with Office.
- From the top of the page, select Services and subscriptionsand on that page find the Office product you want to install and select Install.
- To install Office in a different language, or to install the 64-bit version, select the link Other options. Choose the language and bit version you want, and then select Install.
2. Install Office 2016 on a PC
- Remember a one-time purchase version of Office is licensed for one install only.
- Depending on your browser, select Run (in Edge or Internet Explorer), Setup (in Chrome), or Save File (in Firefox).
- If you see the User Account Control prompt that says, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? select Yes.
- The install begins.
- Your install is finished when you see the phrase, “You’re all set! Office is installed now” and an animation plays to show you where to find Office applications on your computer. Select Close.
- Follow the instructions in the window to find your Office apps. For example depending on your version of Windows, select Start and then scroll to find the app you want to open such as Excel or Word, or type the name of the app in the search box.
Installation or sign in issues?
If you’re unable to install Office see Troubleshoot installing Office for more help.
3. Activate Office 2016
- Start using an Office application right away by opening any app such as Word or Excel. Can’t find Office after installing?
- In most cases, Office is activated once you start an application and after you agree to the License terms by selecting Accept.
- Office might activate automatically. However, depending on your product you might see the Microsoft Office Activation Wizard. If so, follow the prompts to activate Office.