Office 365 is a line of subscription services offered by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Office product line.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a line of subscription services offered by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Office product line. The brand encompasses plans that allow use of the Microsoft Office software suite over the life of the subscription, as well as cloud-based software as a service products for business environments, such as hosted Exchange Server, Skype for Business Server, and SharePoint, among others. All Office 365 plans include automatic updates to their respective software at no additional charge, as opposed to conventional licenses for these programs—where new versions require purchase of a new license.
After a beta test that began in October 2010, Microsoft launched Office 365 on June 28, 2011, originally aimed at corporate users, as a successor to Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS). With the release of Microsoft Office 2013, Microsoft expanded Office 365 to include new plans aimed at different types of businesses, along with new plans aimed at general consumers, including benefits tailored towards Microsoft consumer services such as OneDrive (whose integration with Office was a major feature of the 2013 suite). In March 2020, Microsoft announced that these consumer plans would be renamed Microsoft 365, adding additional services beyond the core Office applications positioned towards life and family management.
How to Install?
Please follow the following steps to download and install Office 365.
- Sign In to Download Office
- Go to www.office.com and if you’re not already signed in, select Sign in.
- Sign in with the account you associated with this version of Office. This account can be a Microsoft account, or work or school account. I forgot the account I use with Office
- After signing in, follow the steps that match the type of account you signed in with.
You signed in with a Microsoft account
b. Select Install (or depending on your version, Install Office>).
You signed in with a work or school account
a. From the Office 365 home page select Install Office apps (If you set a different start page, go to aka.ms/office-install.)
b. Select to begin the installation.
- This completes the download of Office to your device. To complete the installation, follow the prompts in the “Install Office” section below.
2. Installing Office
- Depending on your browser, select Run (in Edge or Internet Explorer), Setup (in Chrome), or Save File (in Firefox).
If you see the User Account Control prompt that says, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? select Yes.
The install begins.
- Your install is finished when you see the phrase, “You’re all set! Office is installed now” and an animation plays to show you where to find Office applications on your computer. Select Close.
3. Activate Office
- To open an Office app, select the Start button (lower-left corner of your screen) and type the name of an Office app, like Word.
- If you have Windows 8.1 or 8.0, type the name of an Office app on the Start screen. Can’t find your Office apps?
- To open the Office app, select its icon in the search results.
- When the Office app opens, accept the license agreement. Office is activated and ready to use.
Note: The Activation Wizard appears if Office has trouble activating. Complete the steps in the wizard to finish activating Office.